AGENDA FOR THE SPRINGFIELD RETIREMENT BOARD MEETING
70 TAPLEY STREET, SPRINGFIELD, MA 01104
TO BE HELD ON AUGUST 2, 2023 AT 5:00 P.M.
Agenda Item #1-Minutes
Vote to consider approving the open session and executive session minutes of the meeting held on
July 12, 2023.
Agenda Item #2- Involuntary Accidental Disability/Ordinary Disability Application-Brent Brenes-Fire Department
Vote to consider the acceptance of the application for Involuntary Accidental/Ordinary Disability benefits submitted by Commissioner Bernard Calvi, and request that PERAC convene a medical panel.
Agenda Item #3-Involuntary Accidental Disability Application-Arjel Falcon-Police Department
Vote to consider the responses of the medical panel for Accidental Disability benefits submitted by Police Superintendent Cheryl Clapprood.
Agenda Item #4-Involuntary Ordinary Disability Application-Raul Gonzalez-Fire Department
Review and reconsideration of the vote taken by the Springfield Retirement Board at the July 12, 2023 Board meeting regarding the application for Ordinary Disability benefits submitted by Police Superintendent Cheryl Clapprood.
Agenda Item #5-Superannuation Applications
Vote to consider the acceptance of the following Superannuation Applications:
1. Deborah Allard, Principal Clerk, School Department with 29 years and 9 months as of August 26, 2023.
2. Cecilia Hoynoski, Licensed Practical Nurse, School Department with 15 years and 2 months
as of August 1, 2023.
3. Joseph Jacobs, Senior A Custodian, School Department with 37 years and 10 months
as of September 1, 2023.
4. Lorene Leembruggen, Fiscal Manager, Health Department with 26 years and 1 month
as of October 21, 2023.
5. Denise Matuszczak, Senior Administrator of Digital Learning and Assessment, School Department with 18 years as of September 23, 2023.
6. Julie Mitchell, Sped Para Educator, School Department with 11 years and 3 months
as of July 28, 2023.
7. Marc Pedraza, Security Guard, School Department with 17 years and 2 months
as of July 29, 2023.
8. William Schindler, Jr., Working Forman II, Water and Sewer Commission with 20 years
as of September 9, 2023.
9. Maria Siciliano, Police Officer, Police Department with 34 years and 6 months
as of September 2, 2023.
10. Katie Skrok, Junior Custodian, School Department with 13 years and 5 months
as of August 16, 2023.
Agenda Item #6-Superannuation Calculations
Vote to approve the thirteen (13) retirement allowance calculations as presented to the Board according to statute.
Agenda Item #7-Warrants
Vote to reaffirm the approval of the following warrants:
Warrant #41 Refunds in the amount of $66,274.24
Warrant #42 Refunds in the amount of $79,856.11
Warrant #43 Transfers in the amount of $385,358.35
Warrant #44 Expenses in the amount of $6,618.05
Warrant #45 Expenses in the amount of $348,252.25
Warrant #46 Retirement payroll in the amount of $7,613,220.83
and redemption from the PRIT fund in the amount of $0.00
Warrant #47 Refunds in the amount of $983.09
Agenda Item #8-Redeposit of Refunds and Makeup of Contributions
Vote to consider the redeposit of refunds to:
1. Glenn Altro, Project Coordinator, Park Department, for the refunds from the Springfield Retirement System in 1995, 1996 and 2000.
2. Joseph Collins, SPED Para Educator, School Department, for the refund from the West Springfield Retirement System in 2018.
Agenda Item #9-Refunds/Transfers to Other Systems
Vote to consider the thirty-three (33) requests for refunds and transfers to other systems as presented to the Board. The names have been submitted to their particular Department, the Law Department and the Massachusetts Department of Revenue.
Agenda Item #10-New Members
Vote to consider the twenty (20) New Members for membership due to their employment within the member units of the Springfield Retirement System as presented to the Board.
Agenda Item #11-Monthly Financial Reports
Vote to accept the monthly trial balance, cash receipts, cash disbursements, journal entries and general ledger reports for the month of June as presented to the Board.
Agenda Item #12-MGL Chapter 32 Hearing on Retirement/Rights/Status/Benefits-Heath Dion-Building Department
MGL Chapter 32 Hearing on Retirement/Rights/Status/Benefits.
Agenda Item #13-Director’s Report
• Update on 2023 Affidavits - Benefit Verification Forms
Agenda Item #14-Attorney’s Report
Agenda Item #15-Old Business
Agenda Item #16-New Business
Reports and Notices
o #17 Reinstatement to Service under G.L.c.§ 105
June PRIT Fund Update
Boston Millennia Quarterly Reports
Budget Balances as of July
Monthly Transfers as of July
Recent Retiree Deaths
List of Injury Reports
Monthly Cash Flow
Next Monthly Board Meeting: September 6, 2023 @ 5:00 P.M.
The Board reserves the right to consider items on the agenda out of order. In addition, the Board may enter into Executive Session during the meeting if requested by the individual or as deemed necessary by the Board or its Legal Counsel. Items listed for discussion in Executive Session may be conducted in open session in addition to or in lieu of discussion in Executive Session.